Things you will need:
- A 3 to 5" deep roasting pan. If it has a lid great, if not make due with foil as a lid. Some steam escaping is no big deal.
- Oven at 250
- Bone in, skin on chicken thighs or quarters (things and legs), enough to fill the roasting pan
- Salt: I use kosher coarse salt, use whatever you prefer or have on hand
- Pepper: coarse ground or fresh ground
- Granulated or dried garlic
- 1/2 to 1 cup water
- Add a base layer of salt to the pan. How much? you should be able to see the roasting pan through the layer of mostly salt.
- Add a layer of pepper and garlic over the salt.
- Place the chicken onto the base layer.
- Pour in enough water to just see it around the base of all the chicken.
- Add a layer of salt, pepper and garlic on top of the chicken
- Cover and place in the oven
- Check between 2 and 3 hours, using tongs or a fork, will the chicken easily separate from the bone? If so, you are done. If not, cover and cook for a bit longer, checking every 30 minutes.
- Let cool a bit, and pull the chicken. Save the skin and those bones for stock!
You can use breast meat; however, it can dry out a bit with this cooking method, FYI. If using turkey, your cooking time will be a bit longer.